In early 2015 during one of my travels to Cuba I met Figueredo who introduced me to ‘his’ Havana. His love for Cuba and his genuine interest to find out about the lives of the Cubans is complementing Figueredo’s passion for photography. He let’s visitors fully embrace its atmosphere through walking its streets which are so well known to him.
It was back then that we had an idea of sharing this experience with others. With our workshops planned for December 2017, our workshop is becoming reality now.
Explore magical Cuba, a tropical paradise island with a storied past where time ceased to exist. This intense 10-days workshop will bring us from the New Year Celebration and the big-city life of Havana, to Valle de Viñales and to the colonial, perfectly preserved Spanish settlement of Trinidad.
Your hosts on this photo adventure
Special guest host: Figueredo. Volker Figueredo Veliz went to Cuba in 2004 and has made it his second home where he lives with his Cuban family. He speaks German, English and Spanish, which allows him to easily connect with people, often resulting in wonderful photographic opportunities.
Host: Harald Claessen
Born in the Netherlands, Harald is a Social Documentary, Portrait and street photographer who has regularly travelled to Cuba since 2008. He is based in Cyprus and travels to teach photography in workshops and to work on his projects.
This Photo adventure provides and in-depth exploration of the backstreets of Havana and exotic locale, offering a unique view of a world few visitors have been able to see.
This workshop will be presented with an exciting mix of activities, a rich schedule of group shooting opportunities, as well as time for the photographers to make their own personal explorations.
This will be a unique opportunity to complete a truthful, authentic photo essay of the amazingly human, vibrant, and passionate Cuban culture. We will schedule regular photo review sessions of the participants' work and you will finish with your personal photo essay.
The aim of this workshop is for Harald and Figueredo to share their experiences in Cuba and to make you feel comfortable photographing strangers anywhere you will go. Through our photo selection process, you will also discover your own distinctive visual voice for telling your story through your own images.
This workshop is designed for a small group (max. 8 participants) and are open to amateur and professional photographers. Companions and spouses are also welcome.
- Day 1 (Thursday 28/12) – Arrival in Havana. Check-in at Casa particular (Cuban B&B), explore Havana's exotic neighbourhoods. Participants portfolio reviews. Welcome dinner.
- Day 2 (Friday 29/12) – Explore Havana. In the afternoon we will travel to Valle de Viñales, evening photo shoot.
- Day 3 (Saturday 30/12) – Explore Valle de Viñales, Playa Del Este, return to Havana in the afternoon.
- Day 4 (Sunday 31/12) – Explore Havana and celebrate New Year
- Day 5 (Monday 01/01) – Explore Havana.
- Day 6 (Tuesday 02/01) – Rise early for our trip to Trinidad. Then spend the day exploring the quiet town of Trinidad.
- Day 7 (Wednesday 03/01) – A second day in Trinidad and La Boca.
- Day 8 (Thursday 04/01) – After a morning photo walk and breakfast in Trinidad, we return to explore Havana.
- Day 9 (Friday 05/01) – Explore Havana, farewell dinner
- Day 10 (Saturday 06/01) – Final image review and selection session in the morning. Transfer to the airport for your flight home.
The price of this 10-day Workshop is EUR 3780,-
(Early Bird Special - EUR 3400,- for bookings before July 31, 2017)
Companions and spouses are also welcome. They will receive a reduced price as they do not take part in the photo workshop.
How can I join?
To express interest or to book a place on this journey, please send an Email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In order to participate it is necessary to send a nonrefundable deposit of 500€/person. This guarantees your place on this trip. The balance is due 60 days before the beginning of the workshop. The fees for the workshop can be paid through bank transfer.
- All accommodations in Casa particular (Cuban B&B), single occupancy, including breakfast for 9 nights.
- Welcome and farewell dinners.
- Round transportation from Havana - Valle de Viñales - Havana - Trinidad - Havana.
- Portfolio review of each participant’s work. Bring 20 images that best represent your work.
- Daily mentoring both on an individual basis and as a group on a variety of topics with emphasis on the different ways of comfortably photographing strangers.
- Regular group photo reviews and final selection of the best images taken by each participant.
What’s not included?
- Arrival and return airfare to Havana (each participant should book his own flight)
- Cuban Tourist Visa
- Health and travel insurance valid in Cuba
- All Lunches and dinners (welcome and farewell dinners are included)
- Any other transport, taxis and busses not included and specified in the itinerary. (round trip transportation Havana - Valle de Viñales - Havana - Trinidad - Havana is included in the Price).
- Any other costs. All expenses of a personal nature such as phone, laundry, internet access etc. Any excess baggage charges, Airport departure Tax.
- Extra nights
What to bring?
Participants will need to bring a digital SLR or rangefinder camera, a laptop computer with photo editing software and an external hard drive. We recommend prime lenses, anything between 28mm, 35mm and 50mm (full frame equivalent) with a relative fast and wide aperture (between 1.4 and 2.8) in order to photograph in low light situations. It is recommended that participants bring extra memory cards, extra camera batteries and all necessary battery chargers for their equipment.